So you probably have noticed by now, but I dye my hair a few times a year to go from brunette to blonde. Naturally, I’m a bit of a brown / dirty blonde, but I like trying out various shades of blonde from cool to warm. For the past year or so I’ve been getting balayage done from Lauren at Up & Out Salon in Hoboken. She’s incredible and always nails it! But, I always find that the upkeep is roughhhh and requires a lot of work. Touchups, special shampoo, conditioning treatment (because dye damages your hair), you name it. I’ve rounded up my favorite products that I use to maintain my color and keep my hair healthy and strong.
1. Say ‘goodbye’ to brassy blonde: When I get my hair dyed right before the summer, I’m always careful to remember to buy shampoo that reduces the brassy tones (think orange) that tend to appear when I stay out in the sun all day. My absolute FAVORITE (and highly recommended) picks are amika’s Bust Your Brass Shampoo, Clairol’s Shimmer Lights (recommended by my hair colorist), Aveda’s Blue Malva Shampoo, and Drybar’s Blonde Ale Brightening Shampoo. But, remember to only wash your hair once a week with the shampoo, or your hair will turn a bit gray/silver.
2. The smoother, the better: Of course, while dying your hair is invigorating, it does damage and dry it out. It’s SO important to moisturize the ends of your hair, to give it that smooth-to-the-touch feel. My favorite moisturizing hair mask is the Macadamia Nourishing Moisture Masque. As for conditioners, I use Dove Damage Therapy Intensive Repair Conditioner, which you can find at a local drugstore. Might sound cliche – but it’s usually around $3-7 and I LOVE it.
3. Skipping the wash: As mentioned above, when you regularly dye your hair, it can become very dry. Sometimes it’s better to skip washing your hair for the day and use dry shampoo / conditioner instead to leave some of that moisture. I’m convinced I’ve found the two best dry shampoos (my roommates LOVE them, too): amika’s Perk Up Dry Shampoo and Silken Up Dry Conditioner, along with Drybar’s Detox Dry Shampoo. Seriously, I’m linking these dry shampoos because they’re glorious and you need them.
4. The perfect hair oil: I recently was gifted this glow dry diamond oil from Redken at an event last week (read about it here), and after using it, I can officially confirm that it smells luxurious and works wonders! I dab a little bit on my hands and run it through my hair – it gives it just the right amount of moisture and I leave feeling like a bombshell.
5. A blow dryer that doesn’t damage: This blow dryer by T3 Micro is proven to cause less damage to your hair and I’ve seen amazing results by using it for a few months. The blow dryer pictured is the Featherweight Compact Hair Dryer and it is PERFECT for traveling!
Wha-la! You’ve got your products and you’re ready to go! Don’t be afraid to go blonde! We do have more fun, after all!